Deaths Involving Nitrous Oxide
Death from nitrous is uncommon. That said, there are many recorded deaths where nitrous was a primary factor. St George’s, University of London reports 17 nitrous-related deaths in the UK between 2006 and 2012. Unlike alcohol and many other drugs, nitrous is non-toxic but behavioral elements of its use can lead to death. Common causes of death include:
- bag or mask over head, causing asphyxiation.
- release in a car or confined space, causing asphyxiation.
- use in car, followed by a crash.
- use standing up, followed by a fall.
- possible heart attack risk
- 2015-07-25, Ally Calvert, 18, Abbey Wood UK - heart attack and died, potentially unrelated.
- 2015-03-02, Aaron Dunford, 22, Brighton UK - cronic user, B12 deficiency, presumed asphyxia.
- 2014-02-06, Jordan Guise, 21, France - unknown cause of death.
- 2013-05-17, Ali Mirza, 19, Claremont CA USA - found unconscious and died.
- 2012-10-14, Jie Fang, 27, Chino Hills CA USA - found with bag over head, presumed asphyxia, possible suicide.
- 2012-08-27, Joseph Benett, 17, Hertfordshire UK - heart attack, coma, and died - not nitrous oxide, was butane mixture "Smelly Balloon".
- 2011-05-15, Melyssa Gastelum, 18, Phoenix NM USA - collapsed and died.
- 2009-01-08, Martin Cassidy, 42, Blackburn UK - presumed asphyxia.
- 2009-11, Andrew McCoy, 20, Virginia USA - found with bag over head, presumed asphyxia.
- 2008-11-14, Benjamin Collen, 19, Illinois USA - presumed asphyxia.
- 2007-09-08, Daniel Watts, 23, UK - presumed asphyxia.
- 2006-03-31, Dasia Washington, 10, FL USA - dentist administered, unknown cause of death.
- 2005-09-18, Tolson Dimovski, 38, Sydney AU - tank opened in car.
- 1999-08-31, Richard Guy, 22, MIT USA - found with bag over head, presumed asphyxia.
- 1998-06-14, Kelly Hendershot, 19, Tampa FL USA - skull fracture in a fall, many drugs involved.
- 1994-05-09, Ryan Howell, 19, Laurence KS USA - found with bag over head, presumed asphyxia.
- 1999-07-29, Michael W. Counsell, 21, Villa Park IL USA - drown in swimming pool, potentially unrelated.
- 1993-07-14, Jamie M. Cardi, 16, Glen Ellyn IL USA - crashed vehicle while using nitrous.
- 1993-05-28, Devan J Bell, 19, Wheaton IL USA - unknown cause, potentially unrelated.
- 1991-11-20, Stephen J. Goodie, 34, MIT USA - tank opened in car.
- 1991-11-20, Daniel J. LeFave, 29, MIT USA - tank opened in car.
- 1984-03, Keith Ennis, 19, MIT USA - found with bag over head, presumed asphyxia.